CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Steampunk and its plague...

Warning: This is my opinion on the overabundance of the "Steampunk" craze going on. No offense to my friends who are all into it.

Steampunk used to be cool - back when there were only a few people who did it (and did it well). Don't get me wrong, I still like it, hell I have a steampunk outfit and raygun, but I think it's a bit overplayed...especially at conventions and the like. Nowadays anyone can slap on a pair of goggles and say they're steampunk. They buy brass goggles, and their plastic "ray guns". Where's the creativity in that?

It makes me sad, really. I enjoy the tea parties, the Victorian picnics, and I *love* the people who make their arms, guns, props, etc...They look fantastic, and the others (the kindergoths who found brown and etsy) are just giving the whole genre a bad name IMHO.

Another small irk: This past weekend the Kentucky Renaissance Festival held a Steampunk Weekend. WTF!? What part of Neo-Victorian / Steampunk / Blah blah blah is remotely related to Scotland in the 1300s? I understand the faire wants to draw a crowd, but that's just silly. Stick to a theme...you know...Scotland...1300s...Robert the Bruce...FREEEEEEEEEEDOOOMMMMM! etc.

Please note: I am however glad it worked and that they had a lot of people go through the gates.

Right now the whole thing is overdone and needs to be culled back before it really is like an annoying weed that just takes over everything....I miss the days of rare and random beautiful people with their brass and bronze. They were so shiny. Now they're so common you miss the really good ones for all of the bad ones that are out there.

Can't wait for the craze to be over so the originals can shine once more!

I'm pretty much just pissing and moaning, but it's my blog and I can do what I like.

1 comments:

SilverPixieFly

My husband feels the same way.

Post a Comment