CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Ultimate Shiny! - Kaylee's Fluffy Layer Cake

Here it is, the costume that definitely enhanced my skills... The dress that took two months (well, mostly a month and some breathing time) to finish. The shiny of shinies! Very sorry, because this one is SUPER IMAGE HEAVY! :)
 The original Fluffy Layer Cake! - Firefly Episode 4, "Shindig"
 
Fabrics and trims...
The sleeve fabric - A vintage sari I found online (like what was used for the original)
 Overlay of the fabric I used on the bodice - I dyed some of this pink to put over the sari fabric!
The skirt fabrics - sparkly organza! :D
 The front of the bodice...I hand pleated all of the organza overlay. x_X;
Stitched down so it's going NOWHERE!
 Some of the trim sewn on, also hiding the stitch down the middle that holds the pleats in place!
 Buttons! Shiny satin buttons!
 The front pieces sewn together with the ruffled trim sewn on!
 The bodice with the skirt pinned in place.
 Nearly completed bodice!
 Needing to add the zipper!
 The completed bodice!
 Spacing out the organza for the skirt ruffles!
 Four layers down, four to go!
 The last layer pinned on... Still need to sew it and hem the skirt at this point.
 One of the many late nights of pinning and sewing. 
I ended up having to sew on every ruffle by hand.
 All of the ruffles sewn on, now to trim the excess and sew them together!
 It's done! It's done! Well except for the sleeve fringe... but that's a minor detail!
 The accessories - I made the bow and put it on a clip for ease of wear, the gloves (Leg Avenue) I found online for 6 bucks, and the shoes I found at Goodwill!

 GMX 2010 - Kaylee in her ruffly shiny glory!
Photo by David Vail

 Photo by Joe Jordan

GMX 2010 - Masquerade
Photo by Steven Greenwood

Two Kaylee's! Melissa as Kaylee in her Coveralls!
Photo by Joe Jordan

So this is one of my favorite costumes and not because it's comfortable (ha! It's hotter than Hades!), but because it is FUN! Plus I always love wearing a hoop skirt...built in air conditioning!

I plan on reworking a couple of things for this:
1 - The bodice skirt - I'm going to trim about 3" off. It's a bit long.
2 - Add the sleeve fringe
3 - Remake the skirt - Now now, I LOVE the skirt I have, and it's not nearly as fluffy as the original so I can get through doors, but it was made for my current hoop skirt and with sparkly fabrics (which was awesome). I plan on buying a NEW skirt with 150" diameter and 6 hoops, which is closer to the original, and maybe make the skirt with silk organza instead of the sparkly stuff...although...I do love the sparkly stuff..Hmm. Either way, BIGGER SKIRT! That way I have options. ;)

I think I may would even be willing to make this costume again! I think because I wasn't able to use a pattern AT ALL and had to wing it, it taught me a lot and improved my sewing dramatically. :)

Oh and THANK GOD for the ruffling foot! Had I not bought that I think I would have died in the mountain of organza!

1 comments:

Polly E

Very, very shiny. Being halfway through my second cake dress (finished the skirt today!) I can definitely appreciate the work that went into this one!

Post a Comment